Thursday, December 17, 2009

Paris, Paris, comme je vous aime...

I'm about to experience Paris for the first time, in the next few months. My anticipation of the city is torn between what will be the reality, and the lifetime of media fed expectations that have so far constituted my vicarious experience of it. I love looking up articles on google about the ten best things to do in Paris. They range from the standard tourist haunts as must sees, to the quirky, personal things, like eating an eclair hot from a patisserie oven, and walking by the Seine at sunset.
So, have any of you been to Paris? Did you have something favourite you'd say was a must-see? Let me know. I'd like to compile my own top ten list of things to do - something to make it that bit more memorable.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh. I have been to Paris once, on a school trip when I was about 15. I don't think it was over-hyped, but then, I was only 15 and I knew nothing ;-) I loved being right at the top of the Eiffel Tower - the lifts are very sturdy as they would have to be, so I felt safe. And I enjoyed Notre Dame, because I like cathedral architecture. Would I go back? Yes, because visiting somewhere in mid 30s has to be able to give a much better appreciation than when I was in my teens and I'd probably find that I have more of a taste for similar quirky personal things you mention. Enjoy :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Paris several times and have stayed in various districts and various types of accommodation. Where you stay (or even live) has a great bearing on how you appreciate a place - just like in Adelaide. The one thing I love about Paris more than anything is walking about in the various districts. So I'd recommend a pair of comfortable shoes and let them take you on some adventures. Lists of what to do? 1. Just enjoy being there. 2. Early morning markets. 3. Avoid August. 4. Views from the Pantheon dome. 5. Throw away the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Josie and Twaklin, much to think about including the one about throwing away the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pere Lachaise cemetery - you can say hi to Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf and Jim Morrison to name a few. It was definitely a 'moment' when I eventually found Jim's grave. Felt sorry for the poor person next to him though, with all that graffitti over his headstone. No respect.

    Notre Dame, Champs Eleese - all spelt wrong probably! I love Paris! Soak it all in, wander around and get slightly lost. They hate to speak English though, so take a phrase book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Notre Dame is a must! I'm not religious, but I loved it! Had a burning desire to yell "Quasi Rules, Ya Bas!"

    The bus tour was great,intresting and informative, till it started to rain, then Ian and I sat down stairs and fell asleep!

    ReplyDelete